- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: CE Server setup assistance?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
CE Server setup assistance?
« on: June 04, 2017, 01:44:10 pm »
Might seem like a silly question, but I was trying to setup a CE server to run behind my firewall at home on my server... but I cannot, for the life of me, get it to work on the internet.  My home server runs 24/7, I can setup a VM for us to use for CE, if I could get it to work...

Has anyone setup CE server, behind a NAT'd firewall, and got it to work?

I can get it to show in the list of internet servers, but it has no ping and no one from the internet can join.  I've done this with the dedicated server and the game itself, both end up with the same results.

I've forwarded UDP 2302/2303.  Some sites call out other ports, I've tried them all.  I also tried forwarding the entire range of ports to the machine (1-65535).... that doesn't work.  I went ahead and enabled UPNP, which I loathe, and that didn't help.  I've tried disabling all the advanced stuff on my firewall (IDS, IPS, proxy, antivirus, etc...) and that didn't help.

netstat only shows the server listening on 2302/2303.

Anyone have any ideas?  Anyone tried to do this recently and was successful?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 01:47:06 pm by Abzstrak »

--Abzstrak

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
Re: CE Server setup assistance?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »
was doing some reading on NAT reflection, I'm using a proxying service in freebsd that apparently does not support UDP....  Anyway, ran across this info by accident at work, will try tonight to not use the NAT proxy and see if that fixes it.

--Abzstrak

Offline Evan

• BC Regular
  • I'm the one you love to hate.
    • View Profile
Re: CE Server setup assistance?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 03:45:33 pm »
I recently installed Halo again to play the single player before I venture into the second one (there's a free Halo 3 coming to the PC that's fan made, so I wanted a refresher)... I remember seeing this thread here last month, and I decided to give it a try (I, myself, have never been successful with running a server from my home PC). Be aware that I only run Windows Firewall. Unfortunately, the issue is I can get it to appear in the server list, but it only uses my internal IP (192.*), rather than one that is connectable. I've never had a problem with other servers, such as source based games and what not.

I'm starting to think that this is mainly a Halo issue? I'll have to dig more into it, mainly for curiosity, since not a lot of people still play the multiplayer anymore.