- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: I predict viruses in Apples future.  (Read 1246 times)

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
I predict viruses in Apples future.
« on: August 17, 2011, 10:04:16 am »
Apple just passed Exxon as the largest company in the world. Whodda thunk! I remember as an a Apple fan watching them wane as Microsoft soared and rooting for them as the underdog. I actually thought when Sculley was CEO that Apple might disappear.

Now they are number 1. As I saw them start to grow with the iPhone I tried to get everyone to buy stock. Stock was $42 a share then. Since then I think it split and the price is $383.

Anyway they are now the corporate giant that everyone loves to hate. Some say that the only reason people don't write viruses for Apple is because they can't invade the sheer number of computers as they can by writing them for Microsoft.

I think it also had to do with hatred of Bill Gates and corporate giants. It's a matter of jealousy in my opinion. Many people hate successful people and companies and will go to great extents to bring them down. In the next couple years I bet you'll hear more about Apple viruses. I could be wrong, just guessing.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:35:25 pm by Infantryman »

“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Drizz

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
Re: I predict viruses in Apples future.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:55:15 am »
I agree 100%.  I expect to see viruses become a real issue for Apple products very soon.

Offline Doyarite

• Get Some!
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • uh huh huh huh uh huh huh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 08:24:08 pm »
it was Apple employees writing viruses for PC's.  :blush1:

Offline Hambone

• I'll remove my shirt AND BLIND YOU ALL!!
  • BC Regular
  • Baseball is the greatest thing on Earth...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 03:27:59 am »
The reason viruses are written for Windows PC's is because there is a version of Windows on over 80% of the WORLDS computers. It is far more worth a virus "creator's" time to make something that will affect the vast majority of running computers. Apple is the largest company, yes. They have many products that include computers with operating systems, but Microsoft still has 4 times the amount of machines running their software.

That being said, there are already viruses for Apples, just nothing on the scale of Windows machines. I'm thinking your guess is right though. Macs are becoming more and more popular, so we could very well see more viruses coming for them.

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 03:31:37 am »
Hambone! :fingertap:
“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Hambone

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 03:37:35 am »
Haha, I had to do it, but only because you already said in your original post. :)  I'm a smartass.

Why are you still up anyway?

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:52:20 am »
The reason viruses are written for Windows PC's is because there is a version of Windows on over 80% of the WORLDS computers. It is far more worth a virus "creator's" time to make something that will affect the vast majority of running computers. Apple is the largest company, yes. They have many products that include computers with operating systems, but Microsoft still has 4 times the amount of machines running their software.

That being said, there are already viruses for Apples, just nothing on the scale of Windows machines. I'm thinking your guess is right though. Macs are becoming more and more popular, so we could very well see more viruses coming for them.

no, that's been the argument for years from the microsoft camp.  Apple, Linux and others can quadruple or more their market size (and have) with no changes in virus problems.  I call bullshit.  I think it may increase, but this is NOT the reason Microsoft has more virus's... Microsoft has more because their software sucks ass.
--Abzstrak

Offline Scooby

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:20:25 pm »
I'm not sure why the windows/virus thing is such a big deal. I've never, in my like 7 years of using Windows have I had a virus infect my computer. I'm about as far as it gets from being a tech wiz, so surely if I know how to protect my PC, other people can figure it out as well. Maybe I'm missing the entire point, I dunno, but it doesn't seem so complicated to me.

Offline Hambone

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:19:04 pm »
I'm not sure why the windows/virus thing is such a big deal. I've never, in my like 7 years of using Windows have I had a virus infect my computer. I'm about as far as it gets from being a tech wiz, so surely if I know how to protect my PC, other people can figure it out as well. Maybe I'm missing the entire point, I dunno, but it doesn't seem so complicated to me.
I'm in the same boat as you. Never had more than a suspicious cookie or two.

And Abz, I already told Infantry I was being a smartass. BTW, if I think Linux software sucks ass, does that make it automatically true? Nope. (I don't think it sucks, fyi, but I don't think Windows is nearly as bad as  people make it out to be)

Offline Drizz

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 08:59:23 pm »
I think the point Abz was making about the software sucking, is that it's faults in the software that allow viruses to be easily created, not just that it's his personal opinion that it sucks (even though we all know he thinks it does).  If he had phrased it "because their software is full of security loopholes making it easier to write viruses for" or something to that effect, perhaps it would have made more sense, and not sounded like the normal "Open Source is the only way to go" schpeel.

Then again, if you ask me, if a piece of software is full of security loopholes making it easy to write viruses for, that seems to me to be a fairly good indicator that the piece of software sucks ass.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 09:04:12 pm by Drizz »

Offline Corn89

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • my personal text
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:02:33 pm »
Yeah, i am going to have to agree with abz on this one. Macro$ux does just have junk software...

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 05:38:05 am »
Yea, that's what I meant.  Anyone who's had to do end user support and see that 90% of all calls are always spyware, malware or virus's on all windows PC's would become quite jaded and sick of it :)

I do have to admit that they are doing better.... Windows 7 is better, when used properly.   Or maybe I should say it sucks less now.

And I'm not saying that Infantry isn't correct, I think that virus's will likely increase.  The thing is that it has never been in proportion to the market's that anyone holds really, despite that lie that I personally think that Microsoft started perpetuating to try to help cover their ass.
--Abzstrak

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:56:18 am »
Before Linux and OS X I had a buddy that was chief technical officer at a newspaper where there were 60 Macs and 8 Wondows machines. 65% of all tech support, hardware and software was Windows machines related. Usually always video and software were the biggest offenders. Usually the Mac problems were CDEV Conflicts and a cold solder problem on the MOBO. That required a one time fix with a drop of solder.