- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: Need help from you car brains.  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Hambone

• I'll remove my shirt AND BLIND YOU ALL!!
  • BC Regular
  • Baseball is the greatest thing on Earth...
    • View Profile
Need help from you car brains.
« on: July 27, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »
*Edit* I don't know if it makes a difference but I drive a '98 Volkswagen Jetta GL

My gf and I decided to drive up to the lake today and we decided to take my car. It was working fine (in all gears) until about 3/4 of the way there when I tried shifting from 4th gear to 5th gear. It acted as though I shifted down to 3rd instead of up to 5th, as in, the rpms went up instead of down as they normally would when shifting up to a higher gear. I pulled over and moved the stick to all gears, and nothing felt out of the ordinary, but when I pulled back onto the road, the same issue occurred.  As I moved the stick around more, I realized that the barrier between 3rd and 5th didn't seem to be there.

What it feels like normally when I shift:

And now, I can be in 3rd gear and move/wiggle the stick back and forth (almost like you can in neutral) from where 3rd is, to where 5th usually is. When I do that, there's no grinding or stuttering whatsoever, it just stays in 3rd as normal. It is almost like 5th gear disappeared, and I can move my stick to where it used to be while in 3rd gear.

Any insight you may have would help a bunch. I'm broke as hell right now and can't afford to have a mechanic tell me it'll be $80 dollars just to look at it, and another $24987894 to fix it.

If you guys have an idea and just need clarification, just ask. Thank you for anything you may know.

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Need help from you car brains.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 01:43:50 am »
It's broke. It needs a Mechanic. See if there's a VW forum online.
“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Drizz

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 01:55:12 am »
It's broke. It may need a Mechanic. See if there's a VW forum online.

That would be where I would start.  I used to have transmission issues with my old '97 Jetta Trek as well, but it's habit was popping out of reverse.

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:36:17 am »
could be alot of things man, I would suspect its not going to be cheap...  take it to a transmission shop that gives free estimates, then take it to another that does the same.
--Abzstrak

Offline ATL

• BC Leaders
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
If your mechanically inclined, It's probably just a worn out shiftier.  You can get a rebuild kit for around $50.00 and an alignment tool is under $10.  You can find detailed instructions on how to do it online.  Here's a link to give you an idea of the part prices.  A manual transmission is pretty easy to work on compared to an automatic.  http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volkswagen/Jetta/Transmission/186/3

This might give you a general idea of what your getting into if you decide to fix it yourself.  I just did a quick look without checking to see if this is your model of VW but it should be very similar.  http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2561977
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:37:45 am by ATL »