- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: Growing your own  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
Growing your own
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:39:08 am »

“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Adi

• Shoutbox insominiac
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • Chris "Short Boat" Columbus
    • View Profile
    • Deviant
Re: Growing your own
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 11:40:17 am »
i doubt too many youngins will respond to this, but I think it's amazing. I loved when I was young that my dad had a small garden in our back yard. It was fenced in, and about 16x16 maybe? he grew gigantic squash, (summer and zucchini)  beans, limas, and a bunch of other stuff. the neighbor had massive raspberry bushes on the other side of the fence from the garden, and she had two enormous Chinese chestnut trees in her back yard. (very dangerous to your feet btw) I loved getting to go out and pick the fresh veggies for dinner, and we practically lived off of the raspberries in the summer. It was awesome to just walk outside when you wanted something sweet and fill a big bowl with beautiful juicy sweet raspberries. Now if I want them, I have to pay an arm and leg at the grocery store for barely enough to fill your hand.

I tried a couple of years ago to turn a partitioned area of our yard off into a garden. I had wanted to do it so badly. My ex never helped at all, so it took me over a month just to turn the soil over and get the grass and weeds and roots out of the ground. It was a big plot..I worked so hard, but by the time I was done, I was just so worn out. I planted some heirloom tomatoes that I had bought as young plants, and they were almost immediately annihilated by bugs. I tried so hard to save them, but a task that big, is just not something you can do on your own. At least not a woman like me. I had such high hopes of having a big organic garden, so I could feed my kids good healthy food at a fraction of the cost that it is at the store. I totally failed..and eventually it just all grew back to grass and that was that. It does take a lot of work, but I imagine that it would be so worth it. That family is so structurally sound and dedicated to what their doing and to each other. Very admirable in my opinion.

Florida is a rly hard place to garden..very sandy soil in a lot of places, and the St. Augustine grass grows in trailers so it's a nightmare to get out of the ground once it has dug in. Plus the heat, if you have no shade, which I didn't just burns everything. Maybe I'll try again someday. If I ever get the strength lol..which I doubt..but honestly, even if it's just a small little garden, and you only grow one thing, everyone should try it..it's a great sense of pride knowing that you planted, cared for and grew the food you put on your own plate. Not to mention, the flavor of anything home grown is so much more flavorful...yummmmmmmmy  :biggrin:
Just trying to survive

Offline Hambone

• I'll remove my shirt AND BLIND YOU ALL!!
  • BC Regular
  • Baseball is the greatest thing on Earth...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 03:11:37 am »
I used to help my grandparents and my mom plant a garden every spring. We'd grow potatoes, squash, zucchini (epic on the grill), bell peppers, peas, green beans, tomatoes, carrots and some other things, depending on the year. And since my grandparents had two huge peach trees, we picked them too. One year, we planted a small corn field, more of a patch really, the size of a large area rug with about 40 or so stalks of corn. I swear it was some of the best corn I've ever had, and we had a good dinner with it at least once a week for a solid 2 months.

Only thing about Reno is since our weather is so unpredictable (we've had snow in June) every now and then, we'd get a late frost that would demolish everything, and we'd have to re-do the plants that didn't make it.

Offline DarkRaver

• He who laughs last... doesn't get it.
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • Uhu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:29:01 am »
Lol, the title made me think about something else ^^ hows that possible haha

On primary school we all had our own garden and planted all sorts of stuff.. it was fun and our parents were happy with the food :P
But will i do it when i live on my own? nah, our climate isnt perfect for that either.

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:30:31 am »
We had many Dutch immigrants who bought small farms around us. They were always excellent farmers and very hard working people and expanded their farms quite a bit.

I had a huge 4H garden as all of us children di. Each of us would have a garden for 2 years, then the next youngest would take it over. When we had all nine of my brothers and sisters at home we all took care of a one acre garden.

We never gardened sweet corn or peas because we raised 20 to 40 acres of each for the Stokley Van Camp company and each yeah would can 40-60 qts of each for our cellar.

We also had a field of potatoes and would put a bin in our cellar that was 3 ft wide, 2.5 feet tall and 8 ft long filled with potatoes. Every spring we would "sprout" them. In the cool damp cellar the would grow white tentacles up to 8 inches long that were searching for a place to root. We would then also "eye" the potatoes. We would take a pearing knife and cut out those place in the potato that grew this sprouts and save them for replanting.

It was weird to throw a part of a plant into the ground instead of a seed.  I have a wonderful old photo of our potato harvest I will post later on.
“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”