- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: Say goodbye to SLI / Crossfire??  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
Say goodbye to SLI / Crossfire??
« on: September 27, 2009, 10:39:52 pm »
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3646&cp=3#comments

Hydra 200 chipset, will allow multiple GPU's of anything?!  you can even mix ATI and nvidia together :)

--Abzstrak

Offline Neo

• The Clan Flirt
  • BC Regular
  • xX emo kid Xx
    • View Profile
Re: Say goodbye to SLI / Crossfire??
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:56:20 pm »

Offline Athran

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 11:00:27 pm »
Looks awesome, but I'm waiting until this is out for a while and kicking.  I had an SLI setup that I had too many problems with and that was two of the same cards  :P
Although I think i would need a like a 1500 watt power supply for this to work with three gpus, which would be crazy  :what:

Offline Neo

• The Clan Flirt
  • BC Regular
  • xX emo kid Xx
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 11:10:41 pm »
1500 watts?!!! wtf dude?! do you have a flux capacitor in there?!

Offline The Joker

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • MEEF
    • View Profile
    • Jacob's Blarg
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:12:30 am »
But why would you? I mean if you have the money to run a 295 and a 295 why use a 4870x2?

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:15:11 am »
its not that..... you could just add another gpu to whatever you have at the time.... and get a speed increase.  One primary problem with SLI/crossfire is you have to buy two or more video cards.  Many people would prefer to use it as a upgrade path, but many times you cannot or should not.

For instance, most of the time, say a year down the road, you could add another video card and go SLI.... but should you?  Many times by the time a year or more has passed, you can just buy a single video card that will be faster than the two video cards you are considering running.... many times its not that much different in price either, and you can reuse or sell your old card.

My general opinion is that SLI / crossfire are only worth buying if you plan to buy the two cards at the same time or within 6 months of buying the system..... past that it usually doesnt make sense to use an older card to upgrade.  This would allow you to add anything to your computer and continue using your old card...

I agree with Athran though, this thing sounds great... on paper.... I want to see it running and actually do what they claim.
--Abzstrak

Offline Some Random Dude

• That lucky guy that somehow snagged the beautiful Adi <3
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 10:09:24 am »
For instance, most of the time, say a year down the road, you could add another video card and go SLI.... but should you?  Many times by the time a year or more has passed, you can just buy a single video card that will be faster than the two video cards you are considering running.... many times its not that much different in price either, and you can reuse or sell your old card.

My general opinion is that SLI / crossfire are only worth buying if you plan to buy the two cards at the same time or within 6 months of buying the system..... past that it usually doesnt make sense to use an older card to upgrade.  This would allow you to add anything to your computer and continue using your old card...

This.  I mean, I've got an 8800GT... should I get another 8800GT to toss in there in SLi? A single GTX280 would beat out dual 8800GT's anyday... HOWEVER, with this, I could just get a GTX280 and toss it in with my 8800GT, and still be able to *SLi* both of them sorta.  Meaning I could still use my 8800GT instead of just tossing it in the closet for the time being.

|Random|
[19:40] NeckFace: Pinkie cooks her food by screaming at it
[12:04] MSG_Pinkie: lol, my life is hax.
[16:36] ုMiss Jetty: im so hungry i could eat a carpet
[21:02] ုKelly087: im a girl its my job to PMS
ုKelly-087 - Halo! =0 says (9:16 PM): im only a canadian super pipsqueak

Offline Hambone

• I'll remove my shirt AND BLIND YOU ALL!!
  • BC Regular
  • Baseball is the greatest thing on Earth...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:10:24 pm »
Man, that would be awesome. I'd love to see one of these in action.  I think I'd wait a while too to see how it starts out though.

Offline Athran

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 10:50:50 pm »
1500 watts?!!! wtf dude?! do you have a flux capacitor in there?!

I had a 1000watt on my SLI setup of two 8800GTXs.  It failed after about 1.5-2 years.  Thats when I figured out that all power supplies are not created equal ...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

I would want at least 1200 watts if I had 3 power hungry gpus on one mobo.  The extra 300 is so I can sleep at night and know all is well  :grin:

Offline Shooter

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 06:22:06 pm »
It seems this was a dream short lived

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/13433/nvidia_plans_to_block_lucid_logic_s_hydra_chip/index.html

I say screw Nvidia and boycott all their products.  This is exactly the same thing they are doing atm with the Intel chipsets 955 and 975.  Both of them as well as several others support SLi but b/c they dont have a sticker saying ***SLI CERTIFIED*** then you dont get to use SLi.  They are greedy bastards if you ask me.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:36:54 pm by Abzstrak »

Offline Hambone

• I'll remove my shirt AND BLIND YOU ALL!!
  • BC Regular
  • Baseball is the greatest thing on Earth...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:04:40 pm »
WOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!  This is a first from me but FUUCKKKK YOOUUUU NVIDIA...

Offline Caboose

• BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • Thread Lurker
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:31 pm »
Nvidia = greedy whore bags. Nuff said.