- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: My Overclock has Failed.  (Read 609 times)

Offline Snowisfun

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
My Overclock has Failed.
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:05:43 pm »
I overclocked my Q6600 to 3.0 ghz and its been running fine for 3 months.  Today when I turned it on it told be it had failed.  Is it most likely a heat issue?

Offline FlaƧh

• is a §exy ßeast
  • BC Regular
  • Wally "Brown Bear" West
    • View Profile
    • BC CLAN
Re: My Overclock has Failed.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:07:43 pm »
did you monitor your cpu after overclocking? if so, how high did it go?

if it turns on at all, run prime95 and monitor cpu temperature. should stay around 60C for good performance.
(00:29:00) Adi: i hate how this damn site times you out now like a freakin bank..

Offline Snowisfun

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »
did you monitor your cpu after overclocking? if so, how high did it go?

if it turns on at all, run prime95 and monitor cpu temperature. should stay around 60C for good performance.
yes, ive never reached anywhere near full use, besides when i ran prime.  It's always run a bit warm 60-68, but nothing that made me concerned.

Offline FlaƧh

• is a §exy ßeast
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • BC CLAN
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:14:28 pm »
yeah that's really NOT too high IMO, must be something else besides overheating.
(00:29:00) Adi: i hate how this damn site times you out now like a freakin bank..

Offline Snowisfun

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:49 pm »
yeah that's really NOT too high IMO, must be something else besides overheating.
would have to be a power issue me thinks

Offline FlaƧh

• is a §exy ßeast
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • BC CLAN
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:33:29 pm »
would have to be a power issue me thinks
sure hope so, definitely cheaper than replacing a quad core

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:57:26 pm »
when you say failed, do you mean it failed at 3GHz? or that it failed? were you overvolting? do you have a UPS?
--Abzstrak

Offline FlaƧh

• is a §exy ßeast
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • BC CLAN
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 10:59:24 pm »
...were you overvolting? do you have a UPS?

= Uninterrupted Power Supply and AVR(average voltage regulator)

Offline Snowisfun

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 11:02:40 pm »
when you say failed, do you mean it failed at 3GHz? or that it failed? were you overvolting? do you have a UPS?
yes it failed at 3 ghz and gave me an option to restore to defaults to which I did.  I have not touched the volts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817341002

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:29 am »
how long did you prime95 it after overclocking? are you sure it was a stable overclock is what I'm asking.... I've seen overclocks that SEEMED stable and worked fine but would fail prmie95 after 6 hours or so... they weren't stable and the electron migration will destroy the chip eventually.... usually that can be fixed with a small voltage bump, however that will also make a substantial increase in heat output which must be dealt with.

If you're overclocking with the stock cooler, I'd probably get an aftermarket one before trying again.  Also, different BIOS revisions will react to overclocking differently, google around for your motherboard and overclocking with bios versions, you'll probably find that people have much better luck with a certain bios version, which may not be the newest.
--Abzstrak

Offline ßiteMe!

• Clan Jackhole
  • BC Regular
  • Come worship at my TEMPLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »
If you're overclocking with the stock cooler, I'd probably get an aftermarket one before trying again.  Also, different BIOS revisions will react to overclocking differently, google around for your motherboard and overclocking with bios versions, you'll probably find that people have much better luck with a certain bios version, which may not be the newest.
Here's a stupid question:

Why do you feel the need to overclock? Is your system too slow that it needs overclocking or you just want to be 'cool' and be an over-clocker??

Offline Doyarite

• Get Some!
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • uh huh huh huh uh huh huh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:37:17 pm »
i think its the challenge ruga...to see who can over clock their system the highest without frying it. my system runs just fine and fast and i dont not feel the need to overclock anything. sure..i'll upgrade components to get better and faster results..but cant afford to overclock if i happen to screw up and fry my computer.

Offline Abzstrak

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
    • The ßÇ Clan
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 04:25:41 pm »
Here's a stupid question:

Why do you feel the need to overclock? Is your system too slow that it needs overclocking or you just want to be 'cool' and be an over-clocker??

Mine is overclocked beyond the speed that I can even purchase a C2Q chip... and on a 1700 bus.  I spend less money up front and get a system faster than a non overclocker can even buy if they wanted to.  The multipliers available in lower chips are also MUCH more conducive to overclocking than the higher end chips and result in better bus speed options.  Do I see the difference in speed? absolutely, when you are able to raise four cores 1000MHz higher than stock, of course it is significantly faster.

There is nothing wrong with overclocking, it doesn't hurt anything unless it is done wrong.... but that is true of everything, even when not overclocking... if you don't set your voltage on your ram correctly in your bios (since some just default to 1.8 and most gaming RAM is 2.2V+) then the system can be unstable and corrupt data.... overclocking or not, you can screw up the system...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 04:27:32 pm by Abzstrak »
--Abzstrak

Offline Snowisfun

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 04:37:53 pm »
I overclocked it because I want to learn how everything works on my computer.  I enjoy tinkering but at the same time I am being very cautious in doing so.  Since everythings back to default I get to start over and hopefully do it properly this time =)