- BC Clan Shoutbox

Author Topic: Flew a helicopter  (Read 3916 times)

Offline 1nfern0

• Drama Queen
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
Flew a helicopter
« on: December 23, 2008, 12:03:58 am »
As some of you know, I was planning on taking flying lessons.  Well, yesterday, i took my first one.  Here are a couple shots i got....

Offline Angel PK

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Flew a helicopter
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 12:21:53 am »
Nice! Not really big on my to do list, but flying a Helicopter sounds pretty fun.

Offline Heartless

• -Heartless-
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 12:24:30 am »
is that an eye in the cloud

Offline 1nfern0

• Drama Queen
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:25:17 am »
Thanks!  I'm actually considering making a career out of it.  Its the kind of job where I would be excited to go to work every day and thats important.  
Nice! Not really big on my to do list, but flying a Helicopter sounds pretty fun.

Offline Heartless

• -Heartless-
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 12:28:55 am »
watch suviorman and man vs wild inferno

Offline 1nfern0

• Drama Queen
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 12:30:53 am »
I do... What about em?  Also, the Survivorman in the Sierras was filmed 15 minutes from where I live in CA. If you watch the ens, they are on a road i drove once a week in the mini for fun.
watch suviorman and man vs wild inferno

Offline NeckFace

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 12:41:01 am »
I do... What about em?  Also, the Survivorman in the Sierras was filmed 15 minutes from where I live in CA. If you watch the ens, they are on a road i drove once a week in the mini for fun.
Man Vs Wild is SHIT compared to Survivorman. Bear Grylls got busted because his crew was giving him things to demonstrate with thats why they have that message in the begging now. Les Stroud does all that stuff by him self and is actually in real survival situations for an entire week filming it all himself. As far as the helicopter thing goes. I was looking into flight school for a while myself, still not sure how I'd afford it.
"Lets all get naked and play some yahtzee!" -PK

Offline Pinkie

• Hawt sawk rawker
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • WOAH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:42:21 am »
Awesome pictures! It does sound cool to fly a helicopter, but I'd be scared out of my mind. xD
Yeah but Pinkie types faster than the hispanic people talk on the spanish channel and that's almost impossible. - TeXaS

Sportin' the old sig by Hambone :D

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:04 am »
Pretty soon you can be a terrorist.
“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Stickle

• Security Manager
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • People call me a vehicular lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 08:02:07 am »
Nice pictures Infern0! That second one kinda looks like a video game. :)

Offline Rocky

• Run Forest!!!! Ruuuuunnn!!!
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
  • United we stand, divided we fall
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thebcclan.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 08:30:12 am »
Thanks!  I'm actually considering making a career out of it.  Its the kind of job where I would be excited to go to work every day and thats important.  

Very nice pics!!

Offline Kitten

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 10:45:07 am »
Congrats! I have always wanted to fly one of those "AH-64A/D Apache Attack Helicopter" =D
It would be like GTA. no?  :smt002

Offline 1nfern0

• Drama Queen
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 11:01:38 am »
thanks all. I was only in a 2 seater Robinson r22, but it works well for training and is cheep to fly.

Offline NeckFace

• BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 01:27:07 pm »
thanks all. I was only in a 2 seater Robinson r22, but it works well for training and is cheep to fly.
Those are really popular nowadays. They've been talking about how they could revolutionize upper class travel because of how cheap they are. As for what Kitten said,AH-1 Cobra Zulu is far more win. The Apache just makes things too easy with its standoff distance and stuff. I'd rather be strafing shit with a tri barreled 20MM cannon. That or a Lynx. Fastest helicopter in the world AND it can do inverted loops! As far as civilian helicopters go if I had my choice I'd go for the Bell Jetranger.
"Lets all get naked and play some yahtzee!" -PK

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2008, 01:37:58 pm »
Those Robinsons have a weight limit of about 400 pounds. I never knew that.  There was a local fight school owned by a Japanese guy named Erik and he had two.  He'd bring over boys from Japan to his flight school.  The training pilot was a big guy with an Arnold Schwarznegger accent.  Erik hired me to make a training video which I actually started to do. Arnold was an asshole and thought he was a director.  He kept telling me how the video was going to go and what songs to use and kept handing me video footage.

Arnold was about 6'5" tall and all of his students were less than 5'6" feet tall and about 120 pounds tops.

I needed some in flight video and a condition of the promo video was that I shooting was they take me up and get some scenic shots of the county.

It took about 8 of the Japanese students to get me in the chopper.  I'm 6'5" and 200.  I had two students on each extremity and Arnold guiding me in.  It seemed to take forever to taxi to the take-off area 4 ft above the ground.  I was no noob to helicopters, I worked on Chinooks, Shawnees and HD-21s in the service and an occassional Bell.

While we're taxing over to the take-off spot Arnold keeps telling me he wonders if we can get off the ground because of our weight.  I started getting nervous.  Then he tells me to highest the Robinson can fly is 3000 feet above sea level and we're already at 1400 feet by being on the ground.  He had the lamp scared out of me by the time we reach the right pad.

He tips up the tail rotor and guns it and we go crashing into the ground on the skids.  We slid down the runway sparks flying and I'm screaming WTF?

He says, "I think we're to heavy, let me try it again."

I yelled, KOBE BRYANT you, let me outa this thing, right here. Radio in and tell them to bring my wheelchair."

Arnold says, "No I'll fly us back."

So we proceeded back to the hanger, 4 ft off the ground at 2 mph.

When we got back, I damned near climbed out of that thing myself. Then Arnold said, "Lets decide on another script."

I said, "I work alone."

I went in and told Erik, "When you fire that S.O.B. out there, give me a call."  I never went back.

I hate Robinsons.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:41:20 pm by Infantryman »
“Help a man when he's in trouble and he will remember when he's in trouble again.”

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2008, 01:46:46 pm »
Good luck with that. There's going to be an abundance of helicopter pilots to compete with as soon as we're out of the middle east, and they'll have preference for every job in every part of the world.  Just like after Vietnam.  And they all drug test.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:16:23 pm by Infantryman »

Offline Heartless

• -Heartless-
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »

because when you crash in the forrest your gonna regret not watching them

Offline 1nfern0

• Drama Queen
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 03:35:05 pm »
Actually, the new models of r22s have a capacity of 240lbs per seat.  I weigh 200, and my instructor was no lightweight, and we cruised at 75 knots at 2500ft easy.  Also, what you say about military pilots have merrit.  The problem they face is that they do not accumulate much time flying for the military.  If I put my time in and instruct to build stick time, I will have 1000 hours in a year and a half and be much more marketable than military pilots.

Offline Heartless

• -Heartless-
  • BC Members
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 03:54:51 pm »
infeno is so coool

Offline Infantryman

• Fish on!
  • BC Admin
  • BC Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
The problem they face is that they do not accumulate much time flying for the military.  If I put my time in and instruct to build stick time, I will have 1000 hours in a year and a half and be much more marketable than military pilots.
I just made a phone call to find out if you're right.  You aren't.  All pilots in the Military are officers.  Helicopter pilots are at least warrant officers.  To be an officer, you have to have a college degree and I don't know where you sit with that.  Also I don't know where you get the idea that the warrant officers don't get much stick time and the training they receive is second to none.

The demand for helicopter pilots at this time is very high though and that's in your favor. But you must be experienced.  Blackwater is searching for pilots right now and paying up to $150,000 a year.  Of course your life expectancy is what it would be elsewhere.  There are jobs available in the South Pacific right now flying supplies from ship to ship and those jobs are pretty safe.

Go to Blackwater.com I hear they are recruiting there.